Rental Application Screening Criteria
At Homeward Bound Property Management, we are committed to selecting tenants in a fair and equitable manner regardless of race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, source of income, or familial status. If any applicant needs assistance, known as “reasonable accommodation” in the application process, please advise the agent. Homeward Bound Property Management complies with all local, state, and federal housing laws.
I. APPLICATION PROCESS: Steps to become a Resident with Homeward Bound Property Management.
1. At least one (1) adult applicant must see the inside of the unit (or delegated agent thereof, as specified in writing) prior to executing a lease. We do not rent “sight unseen” unless specified.
2. Each adult applicant (over 18) must complete a separate rental application.
3. Each adult applicant (over 18) must pay the non-refundable credit/screening fee of $45.00.
4. We will work diligently to process your application as soon as possible, but it usually takes 2-3 business days for the information on your application to be verified.
5. Once you have been approved, you will be required to pay the amount of the refundable security deposit.
6. You have 48 hours to pay deposit money and sign an execution agreement or a lease. Property will not be held more than ten calendar days from approval date.
7. Once the application is approved and the deposit to hold form is signed by both parties, any and all advance deposits may be forfeited if no rental agreement is executed. You may, and are encouraged to, read the rental agreement at time of application.
II. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Positive identification with a picture will be required.
2. A complete and accurate application listing the current and at least one previous rental reference with phone numbers will be required.
3. Each applicant will be required to qualify individually.
4. Applicants must be able to enter a legal and binding contract.
5. Incomplete, inaccurate or falsified information will be grounds for denial.
6. Any applicant with a conviction for the illegal manufacture or distribution of a controlled substance shall be denied.
7. Any individual who may constitute a direct threat to the health and safety of an individual, the complex, or the property of others, will be denied.
1. Occupancy is based on the number of bedrooms in a unit. (A bedroom is defined as a space within the premises that is used primarily for sleeping, with at least one window and a closet for clothing)
2. Two persons are allowed per bedroom.
3. Exceptions are made for children under age two. Children under age two are allowed as a third occupant when the child resides with the parent other adult(s) maintaining proper legal custody.
IV. DISABLED ACCESSIBILITY
We allow existing premises to be modified at the full expense of the disabled person, if the disabled person agrees to restore the premises to the
pre-modified condition. Homeward Bound Property Management requires:
1. Written approval from the landlord before modifications are made.
2. Written assurances that the work will be performed in a professional manner.
3. Written proposals detailing the extent of the work to be done.
4. Documents identifying the names and qualifications of the contractors to be used.
5. All appropriate building permits and required licenses made available for landlord inspection.
V. INCOME REQUIREMENTS
1. Monthly household income should equal 3 times the stated monthly rent.
2. A current paycheck stub from the employer will be required if we are unable to verify income over the phone.
3. Verifiable income will be required for unemployed applicants. (Verifiable income may mean, but is not limited to; Bank Accounts, Alimony/Child Support, Trust Accounts, Social Security, Unemployment, Welfare, Grants/Loans)
4. Self employed applicants will be required to show proof of income through copies of the previous years tax returns.
5. If monthly income does not equal 3 times the stated monthly rent, a security deposit equal to 1.25 times the monthly rent, a qualified roommate and/or a co-signer will be required.
6. You may be denied if your source of income cannot be verified.
VI. EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
1. 1 year of verifiable employment will be required.
2. Self employed applicants will be verified through the state. A recorded business name or corporate filing will be sufficient to meet employment.
3. A security deposit equal to 1 times the monthly rent will be required when employment does not meet the requirements.
4. You will be denied if you are unemployed and an alternative source of income cannot be verified.
VII. RENTAL REQUIREMENTS
1. 1 year of verifiable rental history from a current third party landlord is required for apartments, plexes, and single family home rentals (Rental references ending 12 months prior to the date of application will not be considered current)
2. Home ownership is verified through the county tax assessor. Mortgage payments must be current.
3. Home ownership negotiated through a land sales contract is verified through the contract holder.
4. Five years of eviction free rental history will be required.
5. Two or more 72 hour notices within a 1 year period will result in denial.
6. Rental history reflecting past due rent or an outstanding balance will be denied. (A security deposit equal to 1 times the monthly rent will be accepted when past due rent has been paid and no additional negative information has been documented)
VIII. CREDIT REQUIREMENTS
1.A credit history with negative reports will not be accepted. A negative report is considered a non medical item 60 days past due or greater, collections, repossessions, liens, judgments or garnishments. Negative credit will result in
additional guidelines as follows
a) A credit report containing a discharged bankruptcy will require an additional deposit equal to 25% of month’s rent or co-signor. Bankruptcies filed within one year from the date of application will be denied.
b) 1-2 items 60 days past due or greater, collections, repossessions, liens judgments or garnishments will require additional deposit equal to 25% of one month’s rent or co-signor.
c) 3-5 of the items above will require an additional security deposit equal to 50% of on months rent.
d) 6-8 of the items above will require an additional security deposit equal 100% of on months rent plus a cosignor.
e) 9 or more will result in complete denial
IX. CO-SIGNER REQUIREMENTS
1. Very good established credit will be required.
2. Home ownership preferred, but will consider with long-standing positive rental history.
3. Must have an income of at LEAST 3 times the rent amount and must provide proof of income (i.e. paystub, bank statement, tax return, etc.)
X. CRIMINAL CONVICTION CRITERIA
Upon receipt of the rental applications and screening fee, landlord reserves the right to conduct a search of public records to determine whether the applicant or any proposed tenant has been convicted of, or pled guilty to or no-contest to:
a) A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, ever for: any felony involving serious injury, kidnapping, death, arson, rape, sex crimes and/or child sex crimes, extensive property damage or for the sale, manufacture or delivery with intent to sell a controlled substance, class A/Felony burglary or class A/Felony robbery. Any of the item listed are grounds for the application to be denied.
b) A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, where the date of disposition, release or parole have occurred within the last seven years for: any other felony charges (Any of the item listed are grounds for the application to be denied.); or
c) A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, where the date of disposition, release or parole have occurred within the last seven years for: any misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor involving assault, intimidation, sex related, drug related (sale, manufacture, or delivery) property damage or weapons charges (Any of the item listed are grounds for the application to be denied); or
d) A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, where the date of disposition, release or parole have occurred within the last three years for: any class B or C misdemeanor in the above categories or any misdemeanors involving criminal trespass I, theft, dishonesty, prostitution shall be grounds for denial of the rental application. Pending charges or outstanding warrants for any of the above will result in a suspension of the application process until the charges are resolved. Upon resolution, if an appropriate unit is still available, the processing of the application will be completed. No unit will be held awaiting resolution of pending charges.
XI. DENIAL POLICY
If your application is denied due to negative and adverse information being reported, you may;
1. Contact our management office at (503) 828-3060 to discuss your application.
2. Contact a credit reporting agency to;
a) Identify who is reporting unfavorable information
b) Request a correction if the information being reported is incorrect
If your application has been denied and you feel that you qualify as a resident under the criteria set out above, you should do the following;
Write to us:
Homeward Bound Property Management
1001 SW 5th Suite 1001
Portland, OR 97204
Explain the reasons you believe your application should be reevaluated and request a review of your file. Your application will be reviewed within 7 working days from the date your letter was received and you will be notified of the outcome.
XII. Pets/Smoking/Fees/Additional Rules:
If the property you have applied for takes a pet, there will be a pet deposit depending on the property. Certain breeds of dogs (Pitbull, Doberman, Rottweiler, German Shepherd, etc.) are not accepted due to insurance limitations on liability. All of our properties are smoke free, so smoking will NOT be allowed in ANY unit. We also prohibit growing marijuana, for any purpose, on any part of the premises, including common areas.
Some properties may be subject to the restrictions of a homeowners association. Please speak with a leasing agent for specifics.
Copyright 2012-2019, Homeward Bound Property Management. A Portland, OR Property Management Firm 1001 SW 5th Ave Suite 1100 Portland, OR 97204 503-828-3060